Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1 - What am I doing?

Welcome to my blog about world music, something I've only recently thought about doing.  I have always enjoyed exploring all of the many different types of music from the world and I am wanting to spread this appreciation to everyone who enjoys listening to music.  Additionally, I would always encourage you to seek out these musical opportunities on your own.  It's amazing what you can find on YouTube nowadays.  Just about anything!

I have also invested in an ever-growing instrument collection from around the world.  All of these instruments owned by me are authentic.  You will, without a doubt, see these instruments in my upcoming posts.  Instruments that I own include: Zheng (China), Sheng (China), Mijwiz (Egypt), Mbira (many areas throughout Africa, mine was purchased in Namibia), Singing Bowl (Tibet), Gambang (Indonesia), Cajon and Ankle Rattle (Spain, Latin America, Africa).

Every day (I hope), I will find a unique video on YouTube to post to my blog.  These are NOT my videos (unless if I'm brave and record myself playing one of my many instruments) and I am only posting them in order to make a comprehensive list of some of my favorite selections of music from around the world.  If you have any suggestions as you look through my videos, feel free to email me at mbecker0813@gmail.com or leave comments below to notify me of your findings.  I will also give you some background information about the music (what you hear, why you hear this, etc.) which will hopefully lead to a greater understanding of the music and its role in the culture it originates from.

Non-western music will be difficult for some of you to listen to at first.  Unusual scales and keys, incomprehensible rhythmic qualities, and unusual musical practices will test your ability to appreciate these types of music.  Don't let that deter you from listening to this music!  Read what I have to say about the music so that you can understand what you're hearing.

Now, I don't want to just talk to you on the first blog, so below is something I found the other day that is just incredible.  If you have never actually seen an actual video of a real snake charmer from India, you need to check this out!

The instrument you will see this man playing is called the tiktiri or pungi.  The instrument is commonly played by these snake charmers.  It is composed of two cane pipes which are fixed into a gourd which acts as a bag (similar to a bagpipe).  Two reeds (one for each pipe) are inside of the gourd and vibrate when air is blown through them, creating a sound similar to an oboe or clarinet.  One of the pipes have up to eight holes while the other one acts as a drone with only three or four holes for slight alterations in the pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment